For more than 37 years, Yorkshire Academy has been attracting families from Houston, and all over the world. Entering third grade is an exciting time for Yorkshire students!
As they transition into upper elementary, third grade students have new opportunities to learn, make new friends, and broaden their horizons. At Yorkshire Academy, we operate with the goal of promoting self-confidence through social and cognitive development.
When you enroll your child in our program, they’ll have nearly endless opportunities to explore their curiosity and gain a new understanding of the world around them. We employ top-notch teachers and administrative staff to guide your child in their education and help them become more prepared to enter fourth grade and beyond. Want to know more about how this transitional grade works at Yorkshire Academy?
Third Grade Highlights
- Nutcracker’s Russian Bakers
- SEEDS—Ocean Guardian Projects
- Science Fair
- PSIA Academic Competition
- Field Trips
- Houston Livestock & Rodeo Art Competition
- Third Grade Reading Buddies
- Low Student Teacher Ratio
- International Student Body
- Spring Musical Cast & Prop Designers
“Third grade at Yorkshire is a special and transitional year where children are rapidly growing from learning to read to reading to learn. They are able to identify cause and effect, plot, and use rich academic language to express text connections. Third graders enjoy using the writing process to share narratives, opinions, and subject matter information with their peers. And, best of all, they are given an opportunity to go to the library to check out books on a daily basis!”
—Shelly Jackson, third grade teacher
An Overview of Our Private Education Curriculum
We’re proud of Yorkshire Academy’s comprehensive curriculum at Yorkshire Academy. Our private elementary school is happy to be a leader in math and language arts curriculum, as well as premier science and social studies units. You can expect your child to come away with an understanding of the following:
- Language Arts: Upper Elementary Language Arts students participate in all aspects of language through various resources that ensure each child’s success. Students develop an appreciation and understanding of grammar through exposure to all genres of literature. Students follow the writing process resulting in excellence in written expression. Novel studies encourage confidence in making evaluations in a safe environment and making valuable cultural connections.
- Novel Studies: Yorkshire Academy students are fortunate to have access to class sets of novels that comprise a wide variety of literature representing different countries and cultures. Third graders explore these novels together as they learn to identify, evaluate, and discuss the many aspects of literature.
- Math: Our accelerated math curriculum uses a blend of Go Math!, Greg Tang math, and other resources to create a specialized math program that builds a strong foundation of number sense and a deep conceptual understanding of mathematics.
- Science: The science curriculum in our upper elementary program includes a variety of subjects to pique your child’s interest. We expand on what students learned in second grade with more in-depth lessons in physical science, life science, and earth science using student-centered, inquiry-based STEM initiatives. Students also benefit from the SEEDS program (Students Engaging in the Environment through Discovery and Science).
- Social Studies: At Yorkshire Academy, we use the History Alive! Curriculum to do just that—make history come alive. These students will explore geography, government, economics, as well as important moments in history.
Yorkshire Values Enrichment!
Yorkshire offers enrichment programs for music, art, computer, library, Spanish, physical education, and social emotional learning. All of our Yorkshire elementary students participate in the annual spring musical, performed at the A.D. Players professional theatre. Additionally, third graders proudly portray the famous Russian Bakers in the Nutcracker play and compete in the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Art Show. Along with the other enrichment classes mentioned, students may participate in PSIA (Private School Interscholastic Association) in subjects such as Math, writing, Storytelling, spelling, and more.
Incorporating Technology into Third Grade Lessons
In each of the subjects we teach, we strive to incorporate technology. We teach our young students all platforms, how to create presentations, as well as coding so that they are prepared to transition to middle school. We utilize virtual learning modules to teach lessons on language arts and math, as well as allow students to research science and social studies topics. We utilize applications such as Google Classroom, online curriculum, Kahoot, and much more to get students acquainted with technology as a learning tool.
Third Grade is the Place to Be
In addition to a wide range of learning opportunities, third grade is the perfect blend of a more traditional classroom setting combined with exposure to the fourth and fifth grade teachers. Third graders are Reading Buddies to the second graders, but also get the benefit of interacting with older students as well.
Before and After School Care Program
Yorkshire Academy offers before and after school care for your child should you need it. You can drop your child off as early as 7:00 a.m. and pick them up as late as 6:00 p.m. Homework Club from 3:00–4:00 p.m. is available for students enrolled in our elementary Aftercare program. Of course, Yorkshire Academy also offers its Memorial Afterschool Program (MAP), which includes afterschool classes such as chess, piano, tennis, art, Tae Kwon Do, soccer and more.
Ready to Schedule a Tour at Yorkshire Academy?
If you’re looking to enroll your third grader in a premier private education, look no further than Yorkshire Academy. Our Houston upper elementary school has the comprehensive curriculum and experienced teachers you’re looking for in a private school. Contact us today with any questions or to schedule a tour.